As we age, most of us will experience some wear and tear to the discs and vertebrae that make up the structural components of our spines. Here are the most common things that can go wrong.
Joint & Nerve Problems
- SPINAL ARTHRITIS is inflammation of the facet joints between the vertebras, which can cause stiffness and pain.
- SCIATICA is characterized by pain that radiates down one or both legs. It may be caused by compression of the sciatic nerve.
- A NORMAL DISC consists of a soft, gelatinous Interior surrounded by a tough, fibrous membrane, with no sign of trauma or Illness.
- A DEGENERATIVE DISC is a disc that is gradually wearing down and thinning over time, mostly likely due to the natural aging process.
- A BULGING DISC is one that is shifting out of its normal radius, extending beyond the circumference of the vertebrae.
- A HERNIATED DISC occurs when the inner material of the disc pushes through its outer membrane into the spinal canal.
- A BONE SPUR occurs when the body builds more bone as a natural response to the age-related deterioration of the vertebra.
- SPINAL STENOSIS refers to a narrowing of the spinal canal, typically as a result of bone spurs or joint enlargement.
- SPONDYLOLISTHESIS is a forward or backward slippage of one vertebra relative to another, causing pressure on spinal nerve.
- OSTEOPOROSIS is a disease marked by progressively decreasing bone. In the spine, this can lead to a compression fracture.
Here at Cicero Ortho-Med Center we specialize is treating pain. We deal from severe cases such as post surgery and your normal occurrences due to accidents or spinal or joint problems. We have an Orthopedic and Neurologist on staff who pride themselves on an accurate diagnosis of your condition. This is the most important step in your recovery. Once a diagnosis is given we are equipped with physical therapists and massage therapists who are trained in the latest techniques and have at their disposal a series of equipment and literature to help you recover as quickly as possible as well as to train you to prevent this from happening in the future. Remember, we all suffer from back pain at one point or another it is how we deal with it that can prevent it from being a chronic problem
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HELPING YOU HEAL!